Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Presidents' Day

Yesterday was Presidents' Day, therefore no classes at the dojo. This brings up a pet peeve of mine.

There are 10 legal public holidays in the Unites States, and the dojo is closed for each one of them. This strikes me as a little silly.

Of course, there is no point in being open on Christmas, Thanksgiving or New Year's Day: People will be eating and drinking. Even July 4, Labor Day and Memorial Day are traditional 3-day weekends. People probably won't go to class. And let's not forget about Easter. But Presidents' Day? Give me a break.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but some holidays just don't affect business that much, but dojo business is closed anyway. MLK Day; Veteran's Day; Columbus Day, too? You bet.

We can be open every Saturday and Sunday, but not on these little holidays? I just seems like a wasted opportunity. I don't know, maybe over the years it's become apparent that a good percentage of people don't come on even those minor holidays, but I can't imagine it. I would go. I have to work, anyway.

No comments:

Google