Friday, February 22, 2008

An explination

I haven't been feeling well the past few days and I finally decided to go to the doctor. I never go to the doctor, so that really tells you something.

Well, it turns out, that not only do I have an "upper respiratory tract infection," which is a cold, but I have some kind of bronchitics. "But I'm not really even coughing!" I said. Doesn't matter, that's the diagnosis. It's possible to walk around with it and not know it.

Something suddenly starts to dawn on me. "Hey, doc, could I have had this for the past 6 weeks or so?" It's possible, why? "Well, I do this marital art and suddenly this year I haven't had the stamina and energy I used to have and I haven't been able to figure it out. I get out of breath more easily and need to stop and get water much more then I ever did before." It sounds very likely, he says.

Well, as bad as I felt, I wanted to jump up and dance around the room. Finally, an explanation! All this time I've been practicing with an infection in my lungs. Wow. I had no idea.

I've been trying not to dwell on it in this blog, but I have really been confused and unhappy about my performance on the mat lately. I had all these theories as to what may be happening. I never imagined there was such a mundane answer. At least, I hope this is the answer.

So I'm on an antibiotic. If this was really the problem, I should be back to normal in a week!

2 comments:

AikiAddict said...

Hope you feel better soon! In the last month I have had a cold, pink eye, a fever, and now I have another cold. If I didn't love my job so much, I'd be tempted to get out of the snotty-nosed kids biz!

uchi deshi said...

Get well soon. Being sick isn't fun.

I know what you mean about being in a slump on the mat. I get depressed about it periodically, but then I remind myself (actually my wife usually reminds me) that it's only a temporary plateau that you have to go through before you make another breakthrough! It means you're about to make a big advance!!

Google