Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"Relax and get lower"


This is a post on the class I didn't take.

Claire Keller teaches the 12:15 class on Mondays. Due to my schedule, I've been having a hard time getting to the dojo at that time, but I always regret it. Claire is a great teacher and aikidoka. Her technique is flawless and beautiful. It sometimes seems soft, but that belies the power just under the surface.

When Claire comes to correct something, she always has some cogent point that goes far beyond the particular technique at hand. I think I've mentioned on this blog before my aikido rallying cry: Relax and get lower. That came from Claire.

I think I was partnered with her in a class when she had been giving me lots of little pointers. Finally, she just stopped and said, "You know, your aikido would get so much better if you just would relax and get lower."

Well, I've tried to take that to heart and tell myself that often, several times every class. It's almost become my aikido mantra. :)

I realized I have over 50 posts this year, but not yet one on my favorite teacher. I figure if I put it out there, it will motivate me to get to class next Monday!

No comments:

Google